21 Days of Gratitude- Thankful for My Kitchen

Yesterday I mentioned to you the 21 Days of Gratitude Challenge List.  Well, during November there are bloggers sharing each day on one of the ideas or items on the list. When I signed up to participate in this project, I didn’t look at what I was signing up to share my thankfulness about. Instead I picked a day that worked best for me. Only later did I look at the topic I was going to share about. By then it was too late to change to a different day.

Did I want to change my day to something else?

Yes! I would like something easier. I can jump up and down and say that I am thankful for it.

Am I not thankful for what was on my assigned day?

Well, I am thankful, but I don’t always express  my gratitude for it.

What is it I am to share thanks for? The thankfulness is supposed to be for something in my kitchen.
Small Kitchen

Ever since I walked in the kitchen in the house my husband had built many years ago, I have wanted to change it. It is not a bad kitchen. He chose wonderful cabinets and pretty tile for the room. He had curtains made that are nicer than one I would have picked out.  It is a pretty room, but it is tiny.

The house I owned before we got married had a wider kitchen with a wonderful island in the middle. It was easy to move around. One person could prep food on the island while another person got things out of the oven. You could open the dishwasher and the refrigerator at the same time if you wanted to.

We have a one butt kitchen. Only one person can be working in the main areas of the kitchen at a time. Whether it be cooking, washing dishes, opening a door or drawer.  It is tight and it seems to get tighter when JDaniel wants to jump in and help.

Our kitchen gets super crowded when more than four people try to eat in it too. Literally the person sitting with their back to the backyard has to ask for things to be fetched for them once they have sat down and they have to drink very little. It can be challenge to get around the table and get to the bathroom.

So, I pulled out my bible and I read about thanks.

1 Chronicles 16:34 O give thanks to the LORD, for He is good; For His loving kindness is everlasting.

Psalm 34:1  I will bless the LORD at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth.

Then prayed for God to show me things in my kitchen to  be thankful for and do you know what happened? I turned on the news and saw victims of Sandy sharing about how they had lost everything. Maybe even their one butt kitchens.

Thinking about their losses has left me with many things to be thankful for.

I am thankful for…

A refrigerator that has lasted eighteen years along with the oven and dishwasher that arrived when the fridge did.

I am thankful for new counter that God provided for last year.

The tile floor that has been so easy to clean up after JDaniel’s spills.

The small distance I have to walk to catch a milk cup falling to the ground while I am trying to get dinner ready.

Table and Chairs

The space that was just the right size to fit my hutch.

The fact that I have a place to have friends and family come and share a meal.

I can honesty say I don’t love my kitchen, but  now I can say that I am very thankful for it.

What about your kitchen are you most thankful for?

Have you joined the 21 Days of Gratitude Challenge hosted by Inspired by Family and many other fabulous bloggers? Join us and take time to count your blessings!
Inspired by Family Magazine

Comments

I love this post. It’s so hard not envy the dream kitchen given all the perfect ones we see on Pinterest and television.

I have to admit I have been disgruntled with our kitchen even though I have a perfectly big one with a center island. But I don’t like the builder grade cabinets and it is especially difficult to share a kitchen with two cooks since the in laws live here too. Then when we added three more kids it became especially tiny to me.

But then when I put it into perspective to how most people cook their food, my kitchen is luxurious and definitely more than enough for my family. And it provides for everything we need and more. We are very lucky.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings.

Ah, I can totally relate to your post about your kitchen. I have a small kitchen, too! Though I dream often of having a kitchen like the one you describe with an island and all; but in the meantime, I am as happy and thankful I can be with what I have. Thanks for sharing!

Wonderful post! I am very thankful for my kitchen…I’m so thankful that I created my blog all about it! I always remember folks saying that the “kitchen is the heart of the home” I really do believe that. Our kitchen might not be the fanciest, but it is always filled with great works of art (my kids art), the best comedians (my family) and only the finest chefs prepare the meals (me and my hubs). Thanks for sharing your thanks for your kitchen.

I also have a tiny kitchen, but not quite as small as yours. We don’t have a built-in dishwasher. My grandparents gave us a portable one for a baby shower gift, which I’ve been thankful has seen us through the past 4 years as parents.

I love your nook. I had a giant dream kitchen and I hated it! It was too long and it was cold in there. Now I have a tiny kitchen, one butt ~ LOL and I love it, but someone had it redone and added all kinds of nifty nooks and crannies. I do miss my storage space. I am thankful for a cozy house that gives keeps us closer together.

Absolutely wonderful post. I have a few areas in life I need to work on being thankful for. Because I really should be. And I should show it more. You are so inspiring. Thank you so much!

we had our kitchen fully redone from scratch 2 years ago when we moved into our house and I am thankful for every single inch of it! Everything is brand spanking new and I just love it…

I needed to read this post. I am thankful that although my house/kitchen is small, it feels open due to the way the main rooms are set up. I am also thankful that a small kitchen/house means less to clean up! :) Seriously – I think that every time I sweep/vaccuum.

I love your counters. I agree with Amanda – less to clean – we’ve downsized twice and I think this house is perfect. I get grumpy bc I’m tired of cooking – but then I remember those who don’t have enough food to eat. We are very blessed.

“Maybe even their one butt kitchens.”

This made me chuckle out loud.

But the post was a thoughtful one, and I thank you for it.

=)

Oh what a GLORIOUS post!! I love your “one butt” kitchen gratitude! Ah yes, to be thankful for all the details in our lives that if ruined by devestation, would leave us aching in pain and sorrow. Good for you for turning to His Word and finding your heart there. :) God has a way of penetrating us so very deeply when we need it… ;)

Amen! We can get so bogged down by the things we “see” that we forget to pay attention to the little things. I started being thankful for the seemingly mundane things and saying, “Thank you God for a lawn mower that works. Thank you God for providing the strawberries in the garden. Thank you Lord for the roof I have over my head.” So many things we take for granted on a daily basis. It is good to give thanks!

Beautifully said. I think many of us who didn’t experience Sandy have had similar experiences over the last few weeks. How could I not be grateful when I have so much? Thank you for the reminder to see what we have.

Happy Sharefest. I hope you have a lovely weekend.