The big costume element we needed to create as the minion hat. We had several of the items needed already at home. A couple were purchased at our local five and dime.
- 1 yellow hat
- 1 Pringles container
- 1 styrofoam ball
- 1 yard of 3 inch black ribbon
- a black marker
- an Exacto knife
- a roll of foil wrap insulation tape
- a needle
- black thread
- 3 black pipe cleaners
How did we make the hat?
- Cut one section off a Pringles container. The section needs to be 3 inches long.
- Cover the section with the foil insulation tape on the outside and cover the top edge of the section with tape.
- Push the styrofoam ball into the section. It may take a little push.
- Draw an eyeball on the styrofoam ball that is facing out.
- Cut slight curve on the bottom the section that will be facing the baseball hat to match the curve of the hat.
- Cut a horizontal slit on each side of the foil covered section to create a place to put the ribbon through. My slits were about 2 1/2 inches long.
- Thread the ribbon through the slits. Try to make sure that there is the same amount of ribbon on both sides of the foil covered section.
- Using black thread and the needle sew tiny stitches through the ribbon and hat. Make sure you pull the ribbon tight before adding the next stitch. I sewed a couple tiny stitches in, knotted the thread and then cut it. Then I moved to another section off ribbon until I got to the back of the hat.
- When you get to the back of the hat tie a bow with the remaining ribbon.
- Cut the pipe cleaner in half and fold them in half.
- Put the folded sections of pipe cleaner through each of the air vents in the top of the hat. Twist the folded area and bend it to the left to create an anchor inside the hat. (The anchor will hold each of the pipe cleaners in place.) Spread the pipe cleaner hairs apart on the top of the hat for a more dramatic effect.
I truly believed I was done with the costume when I took JDaniel outside to take the pictures for this post. JDaniel informed me as I took the pictures that I am missing the triangle on the overhalls. I will try to work on creating one before Halloween, but for now I have figured out how to make a Despicable Me minion costume that I think looks done.
The costume was missing one other thing. Do you see it in the picture? We were missing a banana. Minions love bananas! JDaniel rushed inside to get one for his costume.
What are you and/ or your children wearing for Halloween? Will one of them be a Despicable Me Minion?