Homemade Salsa is such fun to make with your kids. Some kids like spicy salsa and others like them to have a little bit of a sweet side. When they help you make homemade salsa, they can do taste tests as it is created. They can try adding a little bit of some of the ingredients and if they like it they can add a little more of them.
This homemade salsa is not spicy at all. It can be made spicier with a dash or two of additional ingredients that are shared at the end of the ingredients list. Just because it isn’t spicy doesn’t mean that it isn’t yummy. We have all enjoyed having it with slightly salty chips. I have had to fill the salsa bowl more than once some days.
Homemade Salsa Recipe
2 cans of stewed tomatoes with spices added
1 small can of tomato paste
1 medium red onion chopped finely
1/3 of each of these colored peppers (red, yellow, and orange)
Tabasco sauce, if you want it spicy
salt and pepper, to taste
sugar, to taste
You will need to decide which of these steps your children are old enough to do on their own. Some of them can be done with your children. Some can be done ahead of time so you children can help put the salsa together.
- Cut the peppers and onion into small pieces with a knife. (My son is 8 and he can do this!) Younger children could use a food chopper to create tiny pieces of peppers and onions once you have slice them.
- Saute the peppers and onion in sauce pan with a tiny bit of olive oil. (You can decide if you feel comfortable with your children using the stove supervised or not.)
- Add stewed tomatoes and the tomato paste to the pan. Stir until the tomato paste has melted into the mixture.
- Add salt, pepper, Tabasco sauce, and sugar just a little at a time. (You will need to taste test it to see if it is tastes they way you like it.)
- If the mixture looks thick,you can add a can of water.
- Let it simmer for 20 minutes in the sauce pan.
- Serve warm with chips or refrigerate for 30 minutes and serve it cold.
If you really wanted it spicy, you can look for cans of tomatoes that have spices and other ingredients in them that will give your salsa some zing.
Here are some more wonderful recipes to try with your kids: