We are heading to a family reunion and to visit friends ten hours from where we live. JDaniel has never been in the car for more than two and half hours for over a year. Back then he was four months old and slept most of the way. Needless to say I have been trying to plan out what we will need to make the trip successful.
The first thing I did was search the web for advice. I found the following sites helpful:
Baby Center- Packing Checklist for Traveling with Toddlers
Traveling with a Toddler
The second thing I did was assess what we already had that could entertain him and what I needed to get to help him stay happy while we traveled..
I have decided to take:
- a way to watch the Elemo and Curious George videos I checked out from the library. Thankfully a neighbor lent us their portable DVD player.
- a toy laptop that I found at a great consignment shop. (He loves computers.)
- many, many books
- an I Spy bag that I got off the internet at Etsy.com
- crayons and paper
- a magnetic puzzle book
- the PeaPodz teether (He likes to play with the peas.)
- an insulated sippy cup
- bubbles to blow at rest stops
- a ball to play with at rest stops
- my digital camera (If all else fails, he loves to view pictures on himself.)
The last thing I did was send out an e-mail asking for people to pray for our car ride. When you are traveling with a toddler, prayers are a good thing.
Thank goodness my mom is going with us. She will be able to rotate in to help entertain Daniel in the backseat. My mom is probably the most important thing we are taking with us.
What are your must haves when traveling with a toddler?